The American Defense Institute, (ADI), a non-partisan, educational /defense- policy
organization dedicated to the study, analysis and dissemination of national security and
foreign policy issues, invites applicants for its Internship in National Defense
Studies. Selected applicants spend one semester in ADI's Washington office
starting at the beginning of each semester (fall, spring, summer). Interns will have
the opportunity to conduct research on national defense issues, assist in
Institute-sponsored programs, attend briefings, lectures, hearings on Capitol Hill, and
develop an understanding of the importance of a strong national defense.
Qualifications: Applicants must be at the sophomore, junior or senior level enrolled in a college or university pursuing a course of study in one of the following areas: Political Science, History, International Relations, International Law or Economics. Candidates should have a record of outstanding academic achievement, a strong desire to learn about how our national government functions, evidence of leadership potential, and a demonstrated interest in national security issues.
The purpose of the ADI Internship in National Defense Studies is fourfold:
2. To provide students with the opportunity to undertake research in national security issues under the guidance of professional staff and with the advantage of Washington - based resources -- libraries, specialized databases, and interviews with policymakers.
3. To provide an opportunity for responsible and significant service with an active Washington organization with expertise in security and foreign policy issues -- including the full range of tasks involved in the operation of such an organization.
4. To broaden students' understanding for a strong national defense and encourage the development of leadership qualities and characteristics that are critical to the nation's future.
Among the tasks ADI interns are asked to perform :
-Alliances: NATO, CIS, SEATO, ASEAN, OAS, CSCE, WEU
-Russian/CIS Foreign and Military Police Developments: arms exports, advisors, weapons development, military budget, modernization, technology exports, force structure, military and economic intelligence.
2. Prepare articles and reports for ADI publications distributed to Congress, the Administration, the defense establishment, the news media, and ADI members nationwide.
3. Attend hearings and track legislative activity through congressional committees.
4. Perform miscellaneous administrative tasks.
1997 - 1998 Intern Remarks
"Without a doubt, ADI provided me with the best internship in Washington, DC.
Having met numerous interns over the summer, I saw that the experience here at the
American Defense Institute is unique. Truly a summer I won't forget!"
"My ADI internship showed me the direction I want my life to take. I
hope I can return to ADI one day and thank them for giving me my first chance at success."
"My time at ADI was among the best experiences I've had in college. This
is the best internship program in the Washington area....By treating their interns with a
great deal of respect, ADI continues to maintain the high quality of work performed by
their staff that had impressed me in the first place."
"My internship at the American Defense Institute has been a very educational
and beneficial experience...The knowledge I acquired has helped me tremendously in
becoming more knowledgeable about strategies and defense issues... I also believe my
position as an intern helped me to obtain an A in my college class and even more
importantly, a position at System Planning Corporation as a researcher."
"The ADI internship for me was the best of both worlds here in Washington,
DC. I had the ability to see the workings and process of both the military and
politics. What makes ADI's internship program unique is that it is a learning
opportunity for students based on personal freedom and individualistic
For more information send an email below to Bob Thompson, Director of Programs:
To apply, print out the following pages below, fill them out and submit them to ADI before the application deadlines.
1. Internship letter from Captain McDaniel
2. Personal data form.
3. Evaluation form.
Send mail to email@example.com with questions or comments.